Thursday, January 18, 2007

24 HOUR HEARTBREAK


Gosh, it sometimes is so hard being a mother...
Amy is 13 and has been going out with Jesse for 6 months. They are so cute together. Really they are good kids. Carl, my husband, is a little nervous about the seriousness of this relationship. They call each other 3 or 4 times a night. They plan outings such as the movie theater, the monthly dance, skiing, shopping, riding. They even do homework together. Amy is tutoring Jesse; she is helping him to build his self confidence...

I try to keep the communication channels open with Amy... We can not stop the natural course of humanity, which has been moving from the start of time... So, letting her know I'm there should any situation arise, is the best I can do.

2 weeks ago, I was about to put Emma to bed when a neighbour showed up; she was a little bit peeved about her 18 year old son's behavior. She waited for me while I put Emma to bed... When Emma was finally asleep, I walked by Amy's bedroom door. She was in total despair, tears running, flowing down her face. What's wrong? She said: Mom, I didn't see it coming... Oh, no! Jesse broke up with her over the phone. But he is so nice, he even phone back to say he was sorry... He says he rather be just friends since in the fall they won't be going to the same highschool and that makes him sad too much of the time... I hugged her but she said go see Judy who is waiting downstairs... I had forgotten about my friend!

I was very concerned for Amy, yet I was also very proud of her. She went on MSN and some friends were saying not too nice things about Jesse. I warned her that she should confide to only one or two good friends and not say things she could regret later. No, Amy was not putting Jesse down, she was just very, very hurt.

She asked not to go to school the next day. She was afraid we would cry in front of her peers. Being one of the best in her class. We abided. Carl and I treated her with extra special care. Amy always beg for an Ice Cap at the local coffee shop and Dad usually say no. That day he bought her one even without her asking...
Comes suppertime and, once again I passed in front of Amy's bedroom. She has the brightest grin on her face!!! Guess what; Jesse is on the phone; they are making up!!! Dad's sense of relief is gone. It lasted 24 hours... They are going to take it easy. They will wait and see how things go being at different high schools in the fall. Maybe they can see each other on Wednesdays and over the weekends.
Like I said, it is very hard to be a mother. To watch your daughter grow up with the freedom and sorrow that come with it... I love her to pieces!!! They now have celebrated their 7 month anniverary...

1 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

What she won't get for many, many years is that when her heart breaks, so does yours...

Its so hard to let this natural evolution occur -- to not want to wrap your arms around her and protect her from the world forever.

If it were only that easy...

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home