Wednesday, January 31, 2007

MY BIRTHDAY

Today is my birthday and I am a happy person. A while back I wrote A NEW COUNTRY, a sequel to Welcome to Holand. In my text, I was bragging about having the best of Italy and Holand, and by mixing both together, I was in this new country where Italy and Holand became one: my world.
So far today, my world is having sent both girls off to school. Then I phoned the Drug store; they each need prescriptions renewed.
Then I phoned CHEO, our children's hospital. Guess what? Emma has an ear infection (her very first and she's on her 4th set of tubes). I talked to a nurse who asked if I had a family doctor, then she passed me to the audiologist. We decided to put Emma on ear drops which we have at home since her last tubes were put in (They cost 50$). And if she still has problems by Monday, I am to phone Audiology and they will squeeze her in the clinic. PROBLEM SOLVING is so easy and fun!!! I avoided a long wait at our local walk-in clinic, I saved money on a new prescription and Emma gets treated right away.
In the early years of Emma's life, I heard a lot of parents complaining about always having to fight for our "challenged kids" and it used to scare me. I did not want to fight all the time, I wanted to be at peace and happy. And guess what, I am not FIGHTING, I am simply taking charge. There is a big difference. I am not afraid of knocking on doors, of expressing my needs, my ideas, or my solutions. This taking charge business makes life easier. There is a fullfilment in knowing that it's okay to take steps directly toward the top, not letting myself be swirled around the system and waste time, energy and peace...This afternoon, I am going to swim with Emma's class because they are one teacher short. I will get to swim with Emma and Paige, Betsy's girl whom I love to pieces!!!
This was my Holand part of today. In my Italy part, well I am very proud of Amy. She won the spelling bee at her school and is moving up to the Regional in Ottawa, then to the National... If she was to win, she would end up in Washington D.C. where my sister-in-law lives... What an incentive... Amy is a very good student; who knows how far she will go... We are studying words at home and she studies with her teacher at lunch recess. Yesterday, they met the ressource person from High School and all her teachers told her she had to pick academic courses... She wants to take Spanish and psychology. She thinks of herself as a nerd and says it's fun being a nerd! I told her she mixes being smart and being a nerd. They don't necessary go togheter. I told her that if she is a nerd, she is the coolest nerd I have ever met... Her social life is so full: horse riding competitions, boyfriend, movies, skiing, piano lessons, dances, let's not forget shopping, etc. etc. etc.....
As for my new country, tonight at suppertime, both my girls and my husband will treat me to a homemade birhtday supper that I will have helped put together. Emma will surely sing to me Happy Birthday to you in her Marilyn Munroe voice which I love. Amy will tease me about being old (45 to a 14 year old seems like almost over the hill...) and Carl, my guy, will have some surprises for me. LIFE AT ITS BEST!!!
Yes, today is my birthday, and I am happy...
P.S. mum2brady, I can't access your blog...how can I reach you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Happy Birthday!!! Its a happy day for me too, as this is the day you were born, and the world because a much nicer place because of that!

Your little girl is so well-mannered! She must have said, "Thank-you" a hundred times at the pool today.
Little Miss Manners!

That's awesome that Amy is doing so well in spelling - that's a very tough thing to do!

I hope Emma sings you Happy Birthday all night long tonight! (well, not all night long, maybe just until 8 or so!)

Love you!

Betsy

1:04 PM  
Blogger The Mom said...

Happy Birthday Camille!!! I hope you have a wonderful day! It sounds like it is going to be perfect!!!

as for reaching me....

My blog is: http://bradysbunch02.blogspot.com

or you can email me:
bradysmomma2002@yahoo.com :)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jan Steck Huffman said...

Happy Happy Birthday to a wonderful friend of Betsy and mom to two beautiful girls!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Happy birthday Camille - it sounds like a wonderful way to turn 45 to me. I still think of the analogy you drew with Italy and Holland - it was/is great. Have a good day
LOL
Shelley

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home